Subject: [Ag-burstedde] [Ins-mitarbeiter] Seminarvortrag Do 11.6. Andreas Mueller: Parallel performance of the atmospheric model NUMA using element-based Galerkin methods
From: Dietmar Gallistl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 16:14:04 +0200
List-Id: "Mitarbeiter der Arbeitsgruppe von Prof. Burstedde" <ag-burstedde.ins.uni-bonn.de>

Liebe Mitarbeiter des INS,

im Rahmen unseres Forschungsseminars "Mathematics of Computation"
wird Dr. Andreas Mueller (Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, USA)
zum Thema
"Parallel performance of the atmospheric model NUMA using element-based
Galerkin methods"
vortragen.

Der Vortrag findet am Donnerstag, den 11.6. um 13 Uhr (s.t.) in 6.020
statt.

Eine Kurzzusammenfassung des Vortrags gibt es unten in dieser Nachricht
oder unter http://ullrich.ins.uni-bonn.de/seminar/ .

Mit den besten Grüßen
Tino Ullrich und Daniel Peterseim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Title:

Parallel performance of the atmospheric model NUMA using element-based
Galerkin
methods

Abstract:

Even with today's supercomputers it is still impossible to explicitly
represent
all scales involved in weather prediction. A large number of different
numerical methods have been developed for improving the efficiency of
numerical
simulations.  Among those methods are the element-based Galerkin methods
which
allow arbitrary high order for the spatial discretization and promise
excellent
scalability on large supercomputers.

The author is one of the developers of the dynamical core NUMA which is used
within the next-generation weather prediction model NEPTUNE of the US Navy.
NUMA incorporates many recent developments like element-based Galerkin
methods
and adaptive mesh refinement.  The presentation gives an introduction to the
solution of the Euler equations of gas dynamics with continuous (spectral
element) and discontinuous Galerkin methods.

Recently, the author has shown strong scaling of NUMA on more than 2.7
million
threads using the continuous Galerkin method.  Two test cases are
considered:
1) a baroclinic instability test case by Jablonowski and Williamson
(2006) on
the sphere using a cubed sphere mesh and 2) a 3D rising thermal bubble test
case in a cube.  Details of this scalability study are presented and the
sensitivity of the results with respect to the polynomial order of the
spatial
discretization is discussed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_______________________________________________
Ins-mitarbeiter mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mail.ins.uni-bonn.de/mailman/listinfo/ins-mitarbeiter
_______________________________________________
Ag-burstedde mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mail.ins.uni-bonn.de/mailman/listinfo/ag-burstedde