Subject: HLRS-Course: Fortran for Scientific Computing, Mar 20-24, 2017
From: Rolf Rabenseifner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:11:51 +0100 (CET)

******** extended deadline is already March 5, 2017 *********

Dear Sir, dear Madam / Sehr geehrte Dame, sehr geehrter Herr,

Fortran is used in many projects, for example due to performance aspects. 
Please, can you pass this course announcement also to interested 
colleagues.  
/ Es waere schoen, wenn Sie diese Ankuendigung 
auch an interessierte Kollegen weitergeben koennten.

  Fortran for Scientific Computing . . . . (in English)
  http://www.hlrs.de/training/2017/FTN1

Kind regards / mit freundlichen Gruessen
Rolf Rabenseifner and Lucienne Dettki

PS: Further upcoming courses that may be of interest for you:
  http://www.hlrs.de/training/   (*) PRACE PATC Courses
     OpenMP and OpenACC GPU-Directives (Mar 7-8) [Engl] (*)
     Parallel Programming with HPX (Mar 9-10) [Engl]
     Fortran (Mar 20-24) [English] (*)
     Iterative Solvers and Parallelization (Mar 27-31) [German]
     OpenFOAM (Apr 3-7) [German]
     Node-level Performance Engineering (Apr 27-28) [Engl] (*)
     Scientific Visualization (May 31-Jun 1) [Engl]
     Hybrid MPI+X (Jun 12) [English]
     Introduction to UPC and Co-Array Fortran (Jun 29-30) [Engl] (*) 
     Efficient Parallel Prog. with GASPI (Jul 3-4) [Engl] (*)

_____________________________________________________________________

Fortran for Scientific Computing . . . . (in English)

Monday March 20, 8:30 - Friday March 24, 15:30, 2017 
Big seminar room
Hoechstleistungsrechenzentrum Stuttgart (HLRS), Universitaet Stuttgart, 
Allmandring 30, D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany 
_____________________________________________________________________
 
Abstract
   This course is dedicated for scientists and students to learn
   (sequential) programming with Fortran for scientific applications.
   The course teaches newest Fortran standards. Hands-on sessions
   will allow users to immediately test and understand the language
   constructs.
Content 
   Fortran syntax overview 
    - Basics - Program units - Dynamic data - IO 
   Obsolete features of Fortran 
   Fortran intrinsics 
   Multiple source files 
   Optimisation of single processor performance 
   Features of Fortran 2003 and 2008
   Coarray Fortran
   Compilers for Fortran and their usage
Language  
   English
Teachers  
   Uwe Kuester, Ralf Schneider from HLRS 
Further information and registration
   see http://www.hlrs.de/training/2017/FTN1
   or  http://events.prace-ri.eu/event/HLRS-2017-FTN1
Deadline 
   for registration is Mar. 5, 2017 (extended deadline)
Prerequisites   
   Familiarity with Linux and Linux editors is recommended. 
   Basics/principles of programming (in any language).  
   Basic mathematics (integration and differentiation). 
Literature and textbooks  
   Participants will receive a free copy of the slides.
   Recommended book: Michael Metcalf, John Reid, 
     Malcom Cohen,"Modern Fortran explained".
 
HLRS as part of GCS is a PRACE Advanced Training Centre (PATC). 
This course is partially sponsored as PATC course. 

_____________________________________________________________________

Contact:
Uwe Kuester (HLRS Stuttgart) 
Tel.: ++49(0)711 / 685-87232
Email: [email-masked] 

Organizers:
Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner and Lucienne Dettki (HLRS Stuttgart)
Phone: ++49(0)711/685-65530  and  ++49(0)711/685-63894
Email: [email-masked]  and  [email-masked]
 
_____________________________________________________________________

Further information about all courses at HLRS:

http://www.hlrs.de/training/ and http://www.hlrs.de/training/course-list/

and by PRACE:

http://www.training.prace-ri.eu/  and  http://events.prace-ri.eu/ 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
HLRS Online Courses:   http://www.hlrs.de/training/par-prog-ws/

As a member of the HLRS course mailing list, you should have received
the password with an email titled "Get your access to HLRS online courses".
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
We would appreciate if you could forward this email to interested
colleagues. If you receive double postings or you want to stop my
postings, then please reply with "unsubscribe [email-masked]"
in the subject line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner .. . . . . . . . . . email [email-masked]
Lucienne Dettki . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email-masked]
High Performance Computing Center (HLRS) . phone ++49(0)711/685-65530
University of Stuttgart .. . . . . . . . . and : ++49(0)711/685-63894
Nobelstr. 19, D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany
---------------------------------------------------------------------